Monday, November 18, 2013

Mostly fields

There's no real unifying theme here; just some photos I've shot of stuff I love. 


Jonas likes to go for rides with me.  He's a good helper and will go anywhere.  At Brookton's Market he guards my truck, at Agway he makes sure I pick up the right dog treats and the bird food with the peanuts in it, at Pat's he works hard to move the horses around.  No matter where we go, he makes me feel like a good person.  That's the best reason to have dogs, they ignore all your faults.


I worked hard to hang a new axe head that I picked up.  It wasn't too rusty, but the edges were real chipped and dinged up, so I had to file them way back and then create a whole new edge.  I also plained edges onto the handle and rasped it for a better grip.


I'll love to have a real shop someday, but on this crisp late fall day it was pretty magical to work on the axe out by a big hot fire, surrounded by my dogs and listening to all the birds and the wind.


The axe, the sledge, and the rectifier.


Head finished, sanded, edged, and buffed.  Handle plained, roughed, coated in linseed and beeswax.  The bit is from c. 1930.




This is the corn field on the corner.


I went for a run, but had to pause to watch the percherons down the road for a bit.  Can you guess where the hunters are?



Pat and her son Aaron and I went for some rides this past Saturday.  It was opening day of gun season, so, as usual, it sounded like the Tet Offensive was under way, but we dressed in orange and stayed on Pat's property.  By the time we rode, around noon, the major fighting had died down anyway.  Rambo and I had a SUPER day.  He was following me around like a puppy.  I didn't have to hold his reins at all.  Once Pat and Aaron retired, Rambo and I went out to the corn field to look for turkeys and take pictures.







Also, I finished the main part of my brake drum forge.  Just need some cinder blocks to prop it up on.  I think I found an anvil, too, but need to finalize that.


This is a red tail hawk I watched for a while.


The puppies waited impatiently on Sunday for A. Sarah to get home and B. me to light the fire.  Eva is all wrapped up in her blanket, here.

2 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

Keith, I love your posts! They are so friendly. Sounds like your bachelor weekend was a pleasure. I am reading the book - The Elephant Whisperer - the shadow picture looks like you are riding an elephant. Sarah - how was the concert - awesome?! Can't wait to see you!!! xxoo

jill said...

Hi Keith,

I'm trying to update my email address to I can get your blog....it's the best part of my day. Except when I go outside and it's 80 and sunny!

Hi to Sarah and the pups