Thursday, April 2, 2015

Philly 2: Quick Post

Mostly, I'm just procrastinating.  It's Thursday, and I really don't want to do school work.  Have this book sitting next to me about the Korematsu case, but I just can't dig into it. 


I forgot to add this incredible monument to ex-President Reagan in the last post.  The ESP museum is doing an admirable job bringing attention to the grotesque American penal system.  Like obesity, gun violence, and unaffordable health care, we find ourselves head and shoulders above everyone else (and I mean everyone, not just developed nations).  All other western democracies are more of  a juxtaposition than a comparison.  We find ourselves in the same neighborhood as Rwanda when it comes to ratios of imprisoned citizens.


So, as I insinuated at the end of the last post, we needed to wash away some of the heartache, so we headed to Victory Brewing Co.  This is a long time favorite of mine.  Their Hop Devil and Prima Pils are perennial summer favorites.  The establishment was very nice, with lots of copper and wood, and the food was as good as the beer.  What was really fun was that they had a large number of brews that were only available at the brewery.  Sarah and I shared a few to get the flavours.  Their Moxee Session IPA was quite good, but the Rausch beer was a stand out.  I only got a 4 oz. taste of it, but that was a perfect size to sip the smokey, bready beverage.


I had a picture of the awesome pretzel we split,  but I managed to capture Sarah in such a way that she looked cross eyed, so I think maybe we won't share that image.  The pretzel was really good, though.


The next morning I got up and went for a much needed run.  It was cold, and running in the city isn't my favorite thing, but I got a good 5 miles in and felt better for it, so there ya go.  I saw this scene on my return.  The guy in the car is walking his dog.  On a related note, Philly is always a contender on the fattest cities in America list, which means it's always a contender for fattest city in the world.

Next installment, the long awaited trip to the Mutter Museum!!  This was, ostensibly, the reason that we went to Philly in the first place!

1 comment:

Karen and Pat said...

The dog walking pic made me laugh. On one of our excursions into the countryside in Greece we saw a similar dog walking activity. It looks like more trouble than it would be worth...