Tuesday, July 6, 2010

More stuff around the house

This is the view of the homestead. She's comin' along nicely. The fence is a dream! It looks good, the dogs LOVE being outside to lay about, sniff, or help us around the yard. And, as an added bonus, Tony can't ride his scooter across my yard anymore. Yes, unfortunately that was a real problem


We have raspberries and blackberries ripening all over the place. In fact, I think I'll spend some of my day picking them. Delicious. Incidentally, I finally figured out how to use the macro setting on the camera...which explains (if not excuses) the following flower pictures.

Rudbeckia hirta Bellis perennis

This is from a nice little wildflower garden around the side of the house. Note the artistry achieved with a shallow depth of focus... very classy

Asclepias tuberosa: This is a butterfly weed that Sarah planted. We have had little luck attracting butterflies in any above average numbers, but our humming bird population has skyrocketed this season.

Our lettuce. Almost ready


Pisum sativum
The beautiful and delicious pea.

This last is of our cucumbers. Sarah picked one so far and there are several more that are ready to be pickled. Have to go get the canning supplies today I guess. Can't wait to start learning a new skill!


I, Keith Harrington have tamed the shed. And I fixed one of the rototillers. And I fixed my truck's tailgate. And I built a fire. It was a very manly day.

Still can't believe this is our backyard! I love it. Note the fence.

I really like taking pictures into the sun. This is one of the many aspens in our yard. I find it fitting that we have them.

Lilium canadense
This'ns not in our yard. There are a bunch of them growing down along the old railroad trestle down by the swamp.


Agway. My favorite store. TSC follows closely.



Proud Eva


Happy Eva

So, I've been thinking about this for a day now, and I still can't quite wrap my head around it. I'm really proud of our little dog. It's not that I wanted her to kill the groundhog or even that the groundhog was a bother, and I certainly didn't enjoy seeing it happen. On the contrary, I was scared that Eva was going to get hurt and I felt bad for the groundhog. But in a way, through this act, Eva seems to have achieved her dogness. There was no doubt in my mind, nor hers of course, that this was her job. She was supposed to keep the house and yard free of vermin. At any rate, she dispatched the gopher quickly and sustained no injuries. It's great that just the other day Sarah purchased a book on crock-pot stews.

Hope all is well in everyone's world. It's been nice to see the flurry of posting. Swing on by. Between the garden and the wildlife, we should be able to whip up a meal for ya anytime.

2 comments:

Karen and Pat said...

Great post! You always make me laugh:-) I really enjoyed the turkey, but I have not heard anything complimentary about gopher stew. You go first. Congrats, by the way, on achieving uncle and aunt-hood! I need an address.

Karen and Pat said...

G'pa and G'ma R stopped yesterday after their md apts and I showed them you blogsite. There were so impressed! Of course, I put the sites on G'pa's favorites some time ago, but he can't remember how to access them or probably that they are even there!. They were very impressed with your fence and Eva's prowess! Guess what- G'pa has a back injury similar to yours...yep, yet another back surgury on the horizon. They can't wait to see you!